Did I have magnesium overdose?

by Judith
(Idaho)

I was taking albion magnesium, 133 mg twice per day, then on Friday night took extra 266 mg and Sat. took about 1200 mg plus another 200 mg in calcium supplement. By Sat. night I was starting to swell on my face and break out in hives. I had not changed anything else in my diet...only the increased magnesium.


In the following days my arms and hands swelled, I had hives and welts all over my body, my lips swelled. I stopped ALL supplements Sat. night and by Tues the increased symptoms drove me to immediate care facility. The doctor had blood test done for magnesium level and kidney function which came back normal.

I have seen several doctors since this started and none thought it was magnesium, but I do because it happened right after increased dosage and I had changed nothing else. It is now Sat., a week later, and I started getting better yesterday, but still have red spots, hives and low level itching. Could this have been a magnesium overdose reaction? Oh yes, I did have loose stools which is most common overdose symptom.

Comments for Did I have magnesium overdose?

Click here to add your own comments

You had an ALLERGIC reaction
by: Kerri Knox, RN- The Immune Queen!

Hi Judith,

You had a classic ALLERGIC reaction to the magnesium or something in the magnesium. Since a magnesium overdose is determined by a magnesium blood level, BY DEFINITION, you did NOT have a Magnesium Overdose because your level would have been HIGH.

NONE of your symptoms, INCLUDING loose stools, are magnesium overdose symptoms. Having loose stools simply means that you reached 'bowel tolerance'. MANY MANY people who get diarrhea from taking magnesium may still even be extremely deficient in magnesium and have to get more magnesium by using Transdermal Magnesium Gel.

You did NOT have a magnesium overdose and you had EVERY symptom of a simple allergic reaction. Do not confuse these VERY VERY VERY different problems...



Kerri Knox RN Immune Health Queen

Kerri Knox, RN- The Immune System Queen
Functional Medicine Practitioner
Immune System
Side Effects

 


PS: If you found this website helpful, please consider using the
Easy Immune Health Product Store the next time you purchase your supplements online. Your support allows me to keep this site running and educating as many people as possible. Thank you!

Thank you, Kerri, but please tell me......
by: Anonymous

Does this mean I am allergic to magnesium or that the ingested amount caused an allergic reaction?

You are allergic to something
by: Kerri Knox, RN- The Immune Queen!

You are allergic to SOMETHING, it could be coincidental that you took magnesium, it could be the magnesium or it could be something in the magnesium. You'll have to figure that out yourself, there is no way that I could possibly know what it was that you had a reaction to.

I've never ever heard of anyone being allergic to, for instance, 1200 mg of magnesium but not 500 mg. Allergies are generally not dose dependant although they might be worse if you get more of the substance.

Please do some research on allergies. There is information on this all over the internet. It is EXTREMELY common to have these types of allergies and you'll find tons and tons of information about it...



Kerri Knox RN Immune Health Queen

Kerri Knox, RN- The Immune System Queen
Functional Medicine Practitioner
Immune System
Side Effects

 


PS: If you found this website helpful, please consider using the
Easy Immune Health Product Store the next time you purchase your supplements online. Your support allows me to keep this site running and educating as many people as possible. Thank you!

Allergic reaction
by: Penelope

Hello Judith, I hope you got to the bottom of your allergic reaction. I read through your thread plus the response and just wanted to clarify the response given to you. Supplements often have additional ingredients, i.e., you may have been taking a Magnesium supplement but there would have been other ingredients included in the supplement, both active and non-active ingredients.

It is possible that you are allergic to one (or more) of these other active or non-active ingredients. I hope this helps and I hope you are feeling much better these days.

Answers to magnesium reaction
by: Anonymous

Thank you for your kind response. It has now been several years and I am cautious about taking any extra magnesium and it hasn't happened since.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Question about Magnesium.

 

Search this Site
Custom Search

 


Vitamin D Fact Sheet
Free Vitamin D Fact Sheet by Getting
My Newsletter